Friday, April 21, 2006

Raelians Stole My Wallet

My brother's truck is acting up and probably needs to be replaced. It's a gas guzzler anyway, so my parents are in the process of trying to find him a new vehicle.
They were going to try to establish some credit for him so that he could eventually purchase something so they went to the credit union. Well the credit union told him they couldn't issue him an account because his credit was so bad.

The thing is, he hasn't really established any credit. Which is normal if you've never opened a bank account or had a credit card. But instead of being non-existent, his credit rating is bad.

My mom had a credit report run and it turns out that someone else is using his social security number. She didn't say what kind of accounts the person had opened, but it was enough to mess up my brother's credit.

So she called me for help and I did a quick google search for indentity theft. The government has a few consumer websites, but I came across this other website and I thought it was too funny not to share....

"There are three types of identity theft: financial, criminal and cloning. This guide deals with the preliminary steps of financial identity theft. "

That's right. CLONING. hahahaha. So I can't tell if the rest of the website is serious or not.

Anyone have suggestions? I could totally take a class next semester on information privacy but I think it would be a little too late to help now.

1 comment:

Jeimeken said...

wow - maybe I need to run my credit report. Scary. Where would they have gotten his social security number?