Friday, February 03, 2006

If Looks Could Kill

My little brother bought me a Tivo for Christmas like a year ago but it's been sitting in my closet. I don't really know why I didn't hook it up other than not wanting to pay the $12.95/month fee when I could just as easily set my VCR to record stuff.

Now that I have it, I don't know how I lived without it. My favorite part is that it "learns" what you watch and then records stuff for you. However, I didn't know this at first, so when I turned it on a few days after setting it up, I went to look at the Now Playing List to watch something that I actually recorded and saw all these random programs recorded.

At first I thought the Tivo was possessed, but then I read the manual and it explained that Tivo learns to program things for you. Unfortunately, it doesn't know me very well yet.

I had like 3 episodes of Cops, Bob the Builder, a few other PBS programs, and Beach Patrol (wtf?). Totally funny.

But it was a little scary that when I read that it "learns" what you like. Have you seen I, Robot? You know, where the central computer has an uplink to all the robots. The Tivo could totally be the same thing. It connects with the Tivo server and then it tells the VCR, to tell the TV, to tell the toaster to kill you. How many Tivo related deaths is the government covering up? How many I ask you?

Another random story that I don't think I told before is that I bought a new suit over Christmas break. I got a gift certificate for the Men's Warehouse, so I bought a navy blue suit as the one I have currently is black.

Let me tell you, if you thought that used car salesman were supposed to be sleezy, you were wrong. I walk in with my mom and there are like 3-4 salespeople hovering over the cash register near the door. Immediately, the sleaziest of them all latches on to me and asks how he can help. So he shows us a few suits and I pick a blue one. All the while, he is trying to get me to buy other crap. Like he said that I should buy these tweed blazer because it was "on-sale" for $150. Yeah, that's totally cheap, or not. And he insisted I buy it even after I told him it didn't fit and I didn't like how it felt.

Then after I decided to buy the suit he tried to get me to buy some new dress shirts. But I had already bought some online. So then he tries to get me buy a pair of brown dress shoes, even after I tell him I don't like the color. He keeps insisting that he has a pair of them in my shoe-size just sitting in the back.

The best part? His name was Booger. I crap you not. He gave me his business card and it said Booger Reznick. If you're not familiar, that was the name of one of the characters on The Nerds. I don't know if it was really his name, but it was printed on the business card. Scary!

So now I have a new power suit to wear to interviews. Let's hope it's a lucky suit!

No comments: