I often have this problem where I create more work for myself than is really necessary. I always do more work than is required and end up creating problems for myself.
In this case, my outlines are way too fucking long. My Intro to IP outline was over 100 pages. This wasn't really a problem however because the exam was open book, so I didn't have to memorize that much.
Conflict of Laws on the other hand was a closed book exam and there are many different "tests" in Conflicts that you have to apply. And these tests have multiple steps/factors. Unlike Santa Clara where the exams are evenly spaced out, usually with 2 1/2 days between each exam, this time I had one Weds at 1:30 and the next today at 1:30. Not exactly a whole lot of time to study. So I'm looking at my 86 page conflicts outline last night and it suddenly dawns on me - maybe I should try cutting it down.
So I spent a few hours of precious studying time, going through my massive outline and retyping only the rules and relevant cases. I managed to winnow it down to 15 pages. Amazing! Not only that, but it really helped me to memorize.
Which led me to realize, if I could fit all the relevant information into 15 pages, why the fuck did I ever create an 86 page outline to begin with? I do not need to know the facts of the case, I don't need to know that crap about the philosophy behind the law (even if that's all we talk about in class), I don't need to know the legal history. All that time wasted. I could have spent it watching TV! Or going to see a movie. Why am I so stupid?
Today when I took the exam, I remembered all the relevant tests, including the multiple steps. As soon as I opened the exam, I turned it over and I wrote all the rules down so I wouldn't forget as I went on.
I think it went pretty well. I'm not going to "post-mortem" it too much, but basically I was done almost 45 minutes early. At least I couldn't think of anything else to add. I sat staring at my screen for 20-30 minutes and nothing was coming to me. So I left. Usually I try not to leave early in case something hits me at the last moment. But honestly, I felt as if I poured all that I knew about Conflicts onto the page. Right now, I probably couldn't even tell you a thing about it. It's all gone. Looking at my outline later, I couldn't see anything major that I missed. SO Huzzah for that!
One more on Monday...Corporations. BLAH. It's multiple choice though. I should probably get cracking. Yay, almost done!
Friday, December 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment