Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Going to the Chapel

Just in case you haven't heard, the New Jersey Supreme Court is going to hand down it's decision tomorrow on whether the state is required to recognize gay marriage.

I'm so conflicted! On one hand, it would be awesome if they ruled in favor of the marriages (which I have heard from one professor who has contacts within that state that they are expected to do). On the other hand, granting gay marriage might spark up the right wing and bring them to the polls in November and potentially cost democrats Congress.

But the more I think about it, the more I think that fear is unfounded. Granted, the Massachusetts decision likely sparked many states to enact or propose bans on gay marriage which brought out conservative voters, they're going to rally no matter what.

I hope N.J. does the right thing and legalizes gay marriage. If the Democrats cannot win back Congress given the war, the Republican scandals, the economy, Bush's failure at domestic policy, then maybe they don't deserve Congress. Gay marriage will not be the deciding factor.

1 comment:

Jeimeken said...

I cannot fathom how the dems couldn't win back congress - but I have a sinking feeling it's going to happen.