Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Wacky Law Fact - Kitten Edition

Aha! I bet you didn't think I could do it. Well you were wrong.

Today's Wacky Law Fact involves kittens.



A 60 year old woman was loading some grocery bags into her car when a man walked up and demanded money. A struggle ensued and the man pulled a gun and shot the woman to death. He drove away in her car.

The man was later caught by police and convicted of first degree murder. But what was the evidence linking this man to the crime you ask?

..... In the man's apartment, police found 8 cans of Nine Lives cat food, 4 cans of Kalkan catfood, and 3 cans of Cozy Kitten cat food. The man had no cats in his apartment and when asked why he had purchased 15 cans of catfood, he replied "It was on sale".

Police didn't believe his story because the shooter had made off with Mrs. Dye's groceries, who owned four cats. Possesion of the catfood was powerful evidence against him.

- Kyles v. Whitley, 514 U.S. 419
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think that's pretty wacky. Cat food used to catch a murderer. Also, it was not fun looking for this wacky law fact because I also came across a lot of instances of bad people doing bad bad things to kitties. But I thought this story was amusing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now. I got a package from UPS today and wasn't really expecting one. When I opened it, I realized it was my Nevada Bar Exam application that I had ordered.

There's all this crap I have to do in order to apply:
- Get finger printed
- Order transcripts from every school I've ever attended
- Get DMV printouts from any state I've been licensed in
- Pay $450 for the "application fee"
- Get 2 letters of recommendation
- Get several "passport size" photos taken.
- and on and on..................

But the worst part was the news about the bar prep class. Basically there's this company called BarBri. And they have a monopoly on classes you take to prepare for the bar. It's like a 2 month course of intensive study to get you prepared.

But it costs like $2500......And they want it paid in full by March 15. I was totally expecting to just pay for it later.

Basically, I have to take out ANOTHER loan for "bar study". Which will basically pay for this course and then allow me a little money to live off.

It was like a swift kick from reality. Soon I won't be able to lounge away my days in school.

This sucks.

1 comment:

Jeimeken said...

That's the cutest damn kitten ever