Monday, November 03, 2008

Barack the Vote

My legs are killing me. I was sore after doing weights for the first time at the gym with Pajama, but then on Saturday we spent the entire day splitting firewood. We got all this wood really cheap from the forrestry service, but it wasn't split. So we rented a splitter and I was forced to get up early on Saturday morning (the injustice!) and help split and stack firewood. So now it hurts to walk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was excited because I registered to be part of Obama's Voter Protection Program. They were billing it as the largest law firm in the country. All these attorneys and law students were going to monitor the poll and be on the lookout for voter fraud, etc. Well so I signed up and was going to go to a training class and everything. But then I get an email saying that they were "fully staffed in the geographic region" that I had selected. Which was good I guess.

But then this weekend I got a voicemail from someone wanting to confirm that I would be available to poll monitor tomorrow and giving me details. I was like, WTF? I did not plan on taking tomorrow off work because they said they were full.

I'm kinda pissed because I really wanted to help but because I didn't plan ahead I can't really just take off work tomorrow because I'm working on something that's time sensitive. Oh well. I just hope they have enough people. Plus, I'm comforted by the fact that our secretary of state is a democrat. And our Supreme Court justices are elected. So if they try to pull a Florida, they'll have to deal with the Nevada electorate, which is now running democrat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went to the Obama rally in Reno a few weekends ago. It was a pain in the ass to get up so early. Doors opened at 7:30 but he didn't actually start speaking until about 10:00. Which mean we got there at like 7:00 because we were paranoid about parking.

Even though I had to stand in a packed stadium for 3 1/2 hours, it was worth it. Dare I say it was a magical moment? He's such a powerful speaker and it really felt like I was part of a historic moment.

Here's some pictures!

The line stretched from the parking garage up to the baseball stadium:




We entertained ourselves for a while watching them try to hang this flag. They had it attached to two cherry pickers and were trying to lift them up and position them. They would just almost get it and then one of them would suddenly lurch forward and look like they were going to rip the flag.


The Healer addresses his Disciples. Ahahahaha. Really though, it was an awesome speech (even if it was just a canned stump speech):


El Presidente de Los Estados Unidos:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I also carved pumpkins this year. I can't remember what I carved last year but I don't think I did Homer before. It was definitely a big hit with the trick or treaters. We got a lot more this year than we did last year.

These pumpkins are also from our garden. We had 4 giants this year! A lot cooler than buying them at the store, and cheaper too! Clayton did the regular jack o' lantern face. I did the other one which is "Oogie" from Nightmare Before Christmas, although it's hard to tell because the pictures is fuzzy. I wanted to do Patrick from Spongebob but by the time I started it was almost 4:00pm and I had to get them out before the kids came.




1 comment:

Jeimeken said...

omg how good is that simpsons pumpkin?! Seriously amazing!