Thursday, August 25, 2005

Musical Chairs

Funny Professor Quotes:
Professor Corporations - "Since I enjoy jumping up and down more than I enjoy writing contracts, I hope that some trampolines remain."

Professor Community Property - “The progressive state of South Carolina didn’t allow divorce until 1948. They knew how to keep women barefoot and pregnant.”

I can't tell if my Corporations professor is gay or just foreign....or both? I think he is Israeli but he speaks with sort of an Irish accent. It's very bizzare.

This week has been one crazy-ass game of musical chairs and I think I finally won the game.

As I might have mentioned, transfer students did not get to register until orientation which was last friday. The administrators told us that they saved spots in classes and not to worry about not getting into what we wanted. Well, it was a little more complicated than that. The only class I really wanted was Constitutional Law. It's required and I heard the professor was good (not like that crazy professor who wrote the tortute memos).

I got on the waitlist, which coincidentally doesn't update until midnight or some time when I'm sleeping. I went from 24 on the waitlist down to 6. But if I get into the class next week, I've already missed 3 days of lecture.

Now, the musical chairs part of my week entails dropping and adding classes like there's no tomorrow. I thought my schedule was pretty firm but when I went to Criminal Procedure on Monday the professor was a little crazy.

I still hate the socratic method or "cold calling" as its affectionately known. To hell with the people who say its an effective method of learning. So my criminal procedure professor has this altered version where you know which day you are on call so you can prepare for that class reading. This method is fine. My contract professor at SCU did it. Basically your row was on call every 4th day. But this Crim professor called on 3 people the entire class and stayed on them. That's not exactly the idea.

So I wanted to drop that class. It was a "bar course" - i.e. a subject tested on the bar exam but it wasn't required. I only took it because I enjoyed Criminal law. I dropped it and picked up California Marital Property or Community Property instead. It only meets once a week on Tuesday. So far so good.

Then it's Tuesday night and I'm looking at my schedule and I realize that after dropping my Crim Pro class I only have 1 class scheduled for Thursday. It dawns on me that if I drop that class I will have a 4-day weekend every week. (No class Thur/Fri). So I frantically search the class schedule looking for something to pick up. All the Weds. afternoon classes conflicted with what I already head. But lo and behold there was a class called Conflict of Laws. Basically it's all about what happens when people from different states sue each other and which state law is supposed to apply. VERY BORING. It's basically an advanced course in Civil Procedure and I hated civil procedure. But the professor also teaches my Community Property class and she doesn't cold call so I'm happy.

My impression of Boalt so far is that it's a lot more theory and philosophy than SCU. In 2 of my classes we've barely covered 10 pages of reading and I had the classes for 3 days. We actually read an excerpt from John Locke and connected it to the protection of intellectual property. I hate philosophy and I hated reading John Locke in college.

All of the transfer students have grouped together. We have a lot of the same classes so at least I'm not sitting by myself. Amazingly there are 4-5 other people from Santa Clara. I think we have the biggest group coming from one school. I haven't met anyone like my girls at SCU though. I need to find a sassy black lesbian who will call me a little bitch. Then maybe I'll feel better.

Bidding opened today for On Campus Interviewing. I really don't want to have to go to a bunch of interviews. I hate interviews. I get so nervous. I went to law school so that I wouldn't have to go get a job. Damn it! The real world is knocking and I don't want to answer. So tomorrow and this weekend I have to try to research what firms I want to apply to. It makes it harder that I don't know what area of law I want to practice in.

I feel lost again. I had just gotten over the feeling. Maybe I made a mistake?

No comments: