Thursday, January 26, 2006

Misadventures on the Bus

OMG, I couldn't help myself. I had to watch the K. Fed video again. It's a total train wreck. My favorite part is how he movies his hands in beat to the music and then says FIRE in the most annoying voice ever.

Also, I just tried turning my heater on for the first time and that was a mistake. It was a little chilly and up until this point I haven't used the heater because you know, then I'd have to pay the gas bill. So I turned it on and then went to brush my teeth, a few minutes later....smoke detector starts blaring. WTF? So I quickly turned it off and waved a magazine over the detector to make it stop. But now it smells like burned dirt or something in here. A thousand dust bunnies just bit the dust I think.

I was accosted at the bus stop yesterday. It was the most bizarre situation I've ever been in. Honestly, I didn't know if I should laugh or be highly offended.

So I'm sitting at the bus stop, waiting patiently for the bus. There's this old woman sitting at the other bench that's underneath the BART tracks. So she gets up like she's looking to see if the bus is coming and then she goes and stands near the metal pole that holds the bus numbers sign. I was reading a handout for school and she comes up to me and starts talking. At first I thought she just wanted to ask the time or if I knew when the bus was supposed to come. You know, like something that a normal person might say. Keep in mind she was about 65-70 (or so I think) and she was European. I couldn't quite place her accent though. Definitely not German, French, or British. Possibly Russian or Eastern Europe. This is how the conversation began.

"Excuse me, can I ask you a question? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but I am a nurse practitioner, which is why I am asking?"

As if prefacing it that she was a "nurse" made what she was about to say any less wildly inappropriate. So I thought it was going to be something benign and had no idea what she was going to say.

"Have you always been overweight, is it genetic or is it from eating the food? Are your parents overweight?" Yes ladies and gentleman, I was minding my own business, on my way to school and an old European woman calls me fat to my face.

So instead of telling her how incredibly rude she was and maybe pushing her into a puddle of mud, I tell her that my family has a history of weight problems. This unleashes a flood of other questions.

She then proceeds to ask where my grandparents are from, so I tell her German and Swedish and she asks if they were overweight and I say only as adults. And she takes it upon herself to tell me that she finds that strange because she hasn't seen fat people in Germany.

Then she says that obesity in America has become a real problem in the last 15 years and then asks several times whether it might be something in the food or perhaps something in the water. A bit of a conspiracy theorist perhaps?

I honestly wanted to laugh in her face. It was the most absurd situation I have probably ever been in. I sort of brushed it off as her being old (probably on her way to senility) and being foreign. That's totally not an excuse for being rude to strangers, but oh well.

Why do I always see the crazy people when at bus stops?

School is fine. I'm still liking Estates and Trusts. The professor is such a hoot. I'll post a bunch of his quotes that I've written down soon. Then I went and had lunch with a friend. Ha ha. I've been here how many months and I've only made 1 real friend. I'm such an anti-social dork. But that's how it was at Santa Clara too. I made one good friend and then sort of got introduced into another group of friends and we bonded.

Legal Ethics was interesting because we had 2 attorneys come into talk about Domestic Violence law and counseling. Very interesting stuff. A few people were suggesting that there's this big bias against "batterers" and that men accused of battery should have access to legal aid and sources of funding should be diverted to their legal representation. Which I think is complete horse shit. I think they deserved to be represented but I don't think we should give them money when they can't afford an attorney. I think that money is better spent helping their victims.

Also, news on the job front. I sent my resume in to a few firms and I got 2 calls. One wants me to interview with them on campus on Feb 9 and the other wanted to set up an interview at their office. So let's hope something comes through.

Or else I'm working at Walmart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too watch the K Fed video on a regular basis and must confess that I enjoy the hand movements as well.

Jeimeken said...

Europeans a jerks about our national weight problem. The first thing they notice about America when they get off the plane is not how free, beautiful, or technologically advanced we are... it's how fat we are. Eh - they're generally condescending about everything we do actually. No pleasing some people I guess.