School started this week. I am proud to say I have completed the first week and I went to EVERY class. ha ha ha. It felt strange and I was tempted to stay home, but I made it.
So here's my classes - Estates and Trusts, Constitutional Law, Employment Law, and Legal Ethics.
Actually I like most of my classes so far. I love the professor who's teaching Estates and Trusts. He's older and kinda kooky. I think he's really funny. I was trying to get into this evidence class, but the wait list was 70 people long. Granted, I started at 29 at the waitlist and by the time the first day of class rolled around, I was around 25. But the wait list was manual, meaning the professor controlled who gets in. Then she announced that you needed a "compelling academic reason" for joining the class. I didn't have one, other than I heard she is definitely the professor to take evidence with. So I emailed her and told her that I was dropping b/c I didn't have a reason but that I still wanted to take it. So she said the next time she teaches it, to let her know I dropped this time and she would let me in. Yay!
I also continued working on my law review comment. I probably should have had my research done by now, but I kinda slacked over vacation. Plus I had to share the internet at home with my brother so it was kind of hard. But the other 2L's I've talked to have basically said they're in the same position (unless they were lying to me).
Also, why the hell do I have so many 1L's in my classes? It's ridiculous. At SCU, we had to take all first year classes. Here, they get to take fucking electives in the Spring. Which means we have stupid 1L's in class, raising their hands and saying stupid shit because they don't know any better. And of course all the classes I have are full of 1L gunners. (FYI - a gunner is the person who constantly raises their hand to answer questions, ask stupid questions, and are generally just wrong in everything they say).
It was funny during the 1st year of law school because all the gunners were happy to mouth off during class. But after the first round of finals, they quickly changed their tune. So in the Spring when they realized how dumb they really were, they stopped talking in class. But the 1L's here haven't learned that lesson yet because grades haven't been released.
My schedule is nice too. On Monday and Weds I don't have class until 3pm. Tue/Thur I don't have class until 11am. The only bad part is that on Thursday, I have one class at 11am but then no class again until 6:20pm. And the class at 6:20pm goes until 9pm.
Last night was our first class and it was a drag. I didn't think he could possibly keep us the whole time because he hadn't assigned any reading. So really, what could we discuss? But he proved me wrong. He went over this outline, but really he didn't add anything new, he was just sort of repeating it. So it was a waste of time. The good part though, is that the class has a paper option. I can write a 25 page paper on some legal ethics topic instead of taking a final. Not sure if I'm going to do it yet, but it would be nice to have one less in class final.
Financial aid hasn't kicked in yet so I've been trying not to abuse the credit cards too much. I made a big pot of chicken soup the other day so I don't have to go grocery shopping for a few days. How do they expect us to buy books and live when they wait a week to give us our money. Bastards!
Kinda boring entry, I'll think of something clever to write later!
Friday, January 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment