Thursday, March 05, 2009

Law Library Shenanigans

Is it possible to be a public servant without actually serving the public?

I was in the law library this week because I enjoy using the free Westlaw research. That way I can run as many searches as I want and not worry about racking up a huge bill for the client.

So I was at one of the computers with my ipod earphones in and was doing research. I hear something and turn around and see that someone else is in the room at a computer across the way. I pull my earphone out and realize he's talking to me.

He asks if I'm an attorney. I wasn't really paying attention because I still had one earphone in and the music was still on. So without thinking, I say yes. BIG MISTAKE!

He proceeds to ask if I know anything about ex post facto laws. I know generally about it from my criminal law class but don't know anything specific. He proceeds to tell me that he is trying to research ex post facto cases because the State is trying to make him register as a sex offender.

I immediately interrupt and tell him I'm not a criminal attorney, that I cannot give him legal advice and then tell him that he can try Washoe Legal Services or the state bar referral service for a pro bono attorney. This does not deter him.

He proceeds to tell me how he was convicted (and served time) for "allegedly" raping a woman. But then says he's innocent and that he did his time and doesn't think he should have to register because it was 16 years ago and the registry law was passed after he got out of prison, blah blah ex post facto. He talks for literally 10-15 minutes even though I keep telling him I don't know anything about it and refer him again to washoe legal. He says that the police snowballed him because it was a judge's daughter and that he was too drunk so he couldn't have even performed and thus could not have raped her.

Then says that he doesn't want to go to prison for violating parol by not registering because sex offenders are at the bottom of the totem pole in prison. He says that the attorney that takes his case would get millions because people will be lining up to challenge the law.

All the while I'm wondering if I should get up and leave, even though I wasn't finished with my research. Finally he stops talking and I immediately stick my earphone back in and go back to work.

I love that the library is open to the public and all, I just wish they didn't let the crazies in. I can't imagine what those poor law librarians go through. I'm sure they get all kinds of crazy people in there wanting legal advice.

No comments: