Friday, January 23, 2009

HoHum

I left work early today because I had nothing to do. I mean, what's the point of sitting in my office twiddling my thumbs when I could be doing that at home.

One partner told me to ask another partner. That partner told me to talk to him on Monday, as did another partner. The others I asked didn't respond. And they wonder why I didn't make my hours last year. That's why, right there!

There's this really cool show on Foodnetwork called Food Detectives. Ted Allen, the food guy from queer eye for the straight guy answers all these science-y food questions with science! They do experiments and stuff.

It's kinda like Myth Busters, but for food. Plus the guy they have from Popular Mechanics who does a lot of the testing is really cute. But that's beside the point. So I had always wondered about blowing out birthday candles. When you think about it, it's kinda gross. Blowing over the cake that everyone's about to eat. Especially when it's a little kid who probably has snot and drool, etc. flying everywhere.

Well, my Tivo recorded a random episode and they were doing an experiment about birthday cake contamination! The verdict: blowing on the cake does contaminate the cake! Also, cakes blown out by children are more contaminated. ALSO, the more candles, the more contamination. Although it really seems like common sense, right? The more candles, the more blowing.

But the show also said that if the person was healthy it's unlikely you won't get sick. Which I guess is evident from the fact that we all didn't get the plague everytime we went to a birthday party.

No comments: