Although I found out today that I kinda won this case I was working on. Basically the client was sued in small claims court and he handled that by himself and won. But then the plaintiff appealed to the district court. And he needed help writing the "reply" brief. So I basically wrote it for him and submitted it to the court. And the court affirmed the judgment and denied plaintiff's appeal. So yay! I didn't really do much except write the brief, but it was like the first thing that I've handled by myself and the client seemed happy with the work. So that was fun.
I also got to help with this really big trial last month. It was a 12 day trial over a million dollar commission. We represented a real estate agent suing for her commission. And I helped with a lot of the motions and discovery. Then I got to go to court and watch the trial. I've never really seen a trial before and it's not like TV.
It was boring because it was just a breach of contract claim, but it was fun to watch because the defense attorneys were such complete assholes. It was like, how much of an ass can you make yourself look in front of the jury today? They never ceased to amaze me. Did they not have legal ethics when they were in law school? I had to take a class in it, pass a national multiple choice exam on ethics AND it was tested on the bar exam in a full blown essay. These guys were total scum bags. So I wsa really happy when we won.
I can't believe how quick this year is going. It's already May. Which means it's the start of summer...or at least school is out. Which means that we have our summer clerks starting on Monday. It's so weird because it feels like I was just at the firm for my summer clerkship. And now I'm an attorney and we have new people coming in. It should be interesting. I mean, I hardly ever see other attorneys anyway. I can literally go weeks without seeing some of the attorneys in the office. haha. I just hope it doesn't mean that work will dry up for me.
I billed 180 hours last month which was really good!
In other news, I bought 2 puppies a few weeks ago. I meant to post about them sooner. I wanted to get pound puppies, but they didn't have any actual puppies at the pound. We went to the humane society/animal control and honestly 90% of the dogs there were pitbulls. And a lot of them looked haggard and scarred and you could tell they were fighting dogs. I didn't trust an older dog, especially because we have a dog who's getting on in years and I wouldn't want a dog to bully her. Plus there's always the cats. I figured if we got puppies, the cats would be able to handle themselves. The cats were freaked at first, but now have settled down quite a bit. Molly was even playing with them earlier. They would try to chase her and pounce on her and she would bat at them with her paws. It was really cute.
I was kind of a bad buyer because I didn't really do my homework and probably didn't ask all the right questions from the breeder. I was just so excited about PUPPY! that I didn't really think about it. So we got Percy home and he started having diarrhea. We called the breeder and she was like "Well it's probably from the drive home and being in a new environment." Which was totally plausible.
But then the diarrhea didn't get better. So we took them to the vet to get checked out. Turns out Percy had 2 different parasites and she said he was malnourished. Man, I was pissed! We immediately called the breeder and she was like "Well, I didn't give any health guarantees." And I said that she did say he had been wormed. I made her give us back some of the money for the vet bill. I didn't want to give him back because from what the vet said, his living conditions there probably weren't very clean. So I like to think of him as a rescue dog.
The black one is Lord Percival or Percy and the yellow one is Mongo "the Destroyer". Mongo is going to be a monster of a dog. We saw his parents and the dad was just huge. He's going to be the size of a small pony.
And of course I had to throw in a picture of Molly, because she's so cute.





1 comment:
puppies!
jealous!
me!
Post a Comment