Monday, February 25, 2008

Dr. Barlove, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bar Exam

Tomorrow's the big day! Then for the next 72 hours it's nothing but the bar exam.

My trip went well. The flight was a smidge bumpy, but I've had worse. In fact, I'm surprised it wasn't worse considering it was snowing when I left Reno and raining when I landed in Oakland.

I got to Oakland and took the shuttle to get my rental car. I was a little disappointed that it was just a Ford Taurus. It's a newer version, but I used to drive a Taurus. I was hoping of driving something new, maybe to give me an idea of what I might want to buy for myself.

The woman at the counter asked me if I wanted to upgrade to an SUV after I told her I would be driving it back to Reno. Haha. I thought about it for a minute but then remembered the gas.

Yeah, so gas is at least $3.30 in most places here. Insane.

The trip was uneventful. It was raining most of the time but there wasn't a lot of traffic so I got through pretty easy. The only hiccup came when I tried to get off the freeway. The directions from mapquest were terrible.

It said to follow I-80 towards Reno, onto the capital city freeway. But the signs didn't say that. To the left said capital city freeway, to the right said I-80 to Reno. So I took I-80. I don't know if it would have gotten me to an exit for the freeway, but I decided to turn around after I passed Ikea and go back to the expressway.

I eventually found the hotel, almost after giving up and turning around (AGAIN). The hotel is right off the freeway which is awesome. AND, it's right down the street from the Cal Expo center. So it won't take me long at all to get there tomorrow.

When I checked in, they gave me a room on the 2nd floor. Of course, I didn't discover the smell until after I had brought all of my luggage up. I opened the closet to hang some stuff up and this big waft of cigarette smell hit me. Which was weird because I couldn't smell anything in the main room. So I left it open for a while thinking it would disappate. But after about 20 minutes, I could still smell it. I was trying to figure out where it was coming from and sniffed at the walls. They stank of smoke. So I went and complained and they put me in a new room.

My hotel room is a "suite", which means that there's a nice little kitchenette. It even comes complete with pots and pans and dishes. The pans still have stickers on the bottom, so I doubt if they've ever been used before. I went grocery shopping yesterday and bought some food so that I don't have to eat out every night. And I got stuff to make lunch for each day of the bar.

I forgot how awesome and fresh the produce seems here. I stopped at a fruit stand in Dixon and bought some oranges and a few apples. And then at the grocery store yesterday they had huge artichokes. Yay!

I'm cooking spaghetti right now. It was easy and i couldn't think of anything else to get, so spaghetti it is.

I probably should have been doing some last minute review or something, but I went to the movies instead. I mean, I read harry potter last time, right? I saw Spiderwick Chronicles this afternoon, but then I decided I wanted to go back. So I did. And I went to see Untraceable.

Both were good. I really liked Untraceable. I wanted to see it when it was in Reno, but it seemed like it only stayed in the theater for a week. Which was weird because I thought it was a good movie.

I'm thinking of going to see a movie tomorrow and Weds. after the exam sessions, but may be too tired. I still wanted to see Be Kind, Rewind and Jumper.

Ok, the water is boiling so I better go finish dinner.

Keep your fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for me tomorrow, weds. and thurs!

No comments: