Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Kitty Bonanza

Before I forget, I posted one last post at Bar Hell. Probably the last there, but if you're curious about the bar exam, go read it. Otherwise I'll be posting here from now on.



I wanted a puppy, but my mom was adamant that she didn't want one. I think it didn't help that she went to visit my aunt who has two small dogs that are not very well housebroken. So she was worried that a puppy would stink up the house.

I was so tempted to just go and get one anyway and make her love the puppy anyway. But then I considered that it would be expensive to get a puppy right now, especially with the big trip coming up.

With two cats in the house, my mom wasn't so adverse to getting another kitty. So I went to the pound and got a kitty. Even better, she was a stray. I always prefer saving a kitty that wouldn't otherwise be saved. If we didn't have 2 cats already, I would have gone for one of the older cats. But I figured introducing a new kitten would be easier than an older cat.

I want to call her Molly. But then I remembered that Pajama had a cat name Molly. So now I'm torn.

She's so adorable! I read online about introducing a new cat into a household that already has cats and it said to keep the new cat in one room for a week or so to get acclimated and not to rush the introduction process.

So kitty has been in my room. For the first day or so, she would hide under the bed whenever anyone would come into the room. Now, she has this hiding place in the closet where she sleeps on a stack of pillows. But when I come in the room, she jumps down and climbs into my lap. Well, she actually tries to jump onto the keyboard, but if I pull her down she'll cuddle in my hand and fall asleep.

The new cats were wary right away. Dina, the smaller of the other cats, was sniffing around the cat carrier I got from animal control and eventually climbed into the box. Agatha, the bigger cat, was pissed!

She immediately starting hissing and growling at the box, even though the new kitty wasn't in it. Then she wouldn't go near Dina because Dina was in the box. And a lot of hissing and growling ensued.

So we've kept them apart for the past week. A few times, I've put the new kitty in another room and let the other cats into my room to sniff around. And last night, Agatha jumped into my room and saw the new cat. She didn't attack, but she was definitely hissing again.

Then we let the new kitty out to explore and she went into Clayton's room, where Dina was sleeping. Dina woke up and stared at the new kitty. And then she started hissing.

So I think it's going to take some more time for them to become best friends. I just hope they settle down.

Anyone else have suggestions on how to get them to play nice?







3 comments:

CorrugatedRobot said...

kitty!

call her zxylon destroyer of mice!

lawsarcasm said...

Someone else suggested "She Who Must Not Be Named"

I kind of like that. haha. Or how about "Lady Catdemort"

Or there's Crookshanks or Mrs. Norris.

April said...

I don't have a suggestion for a cat name, but as a person who has merged cats before I can offer some guidance on that point. Basically, it takes a while for older cats to stop freaking out and hissing about the new cat. As long they aren't attacking the new cat, don't worry. There will just be a lot of hissing and it will sound like you are running a cat fighting ring in your home for the next week.