I was going to post about school on Friday, but then the spider threat level went from cerulean to burgundy and I had to postpone.
Friday was my last day of class. EVER. Like, forever. FOREVER EVER. Well, technically speaking, I still have 3 review sessions to go to next week. But I’m done learning anything substantive in class.
Also, I went to every class this week. I didn’t miss one! I think it’s the first time since the first two weeks of the semester that I didn’t skip out on something. I even dragged myself to the horrible first amendment class that I hate so much. I hate going because I don’t get anything out of the discussion and the professor always calls on me. So of course, he called one me on Tuesday to talk about some stupid case that had to do with the Beef Association and membership dues.
Speaking of that class – I’ve always wanted someone to say something wildly inappropriate. But given that it’s Berkeley, most people are left leaning so it’s not often that someone says something so outrageous that I don’t agree with it.
There are definitely Republicans (or more appropriately “Federalists”), but they usually don’t say crazy things in class.
Well we were talking about this case Boy Scouts v. Dale – where the Supreme Court said that it was ok for the boy scouts to discriminate against a gay scout leader because they found it to be “morally unclean”. So the professor asked what everyone thought of the decision and this guy says: “I think the case was decided 100% correct, I mean, it’s a perfectly valid opinion to have.”
Yes, he said it was a valid opinion to believe that gay people are not morally fit to lead a scout troop and that they are immoral and “unclean”. What an asshat. Way to expose yourself to being a bigot.
Yeah, that class sucks. We didn’t get to talk about any of the fun or interesting first amendment issues. He assigned us way too much reading, so instead of learning about Privacy, Obscenity/Pornography, and Hate Speech, we were stuck learning about Election law (and other bullshit). It was a waste of a class, but there were no alternatives and I needed the credits.
To celebrate I went and saw Hot Fuzz. It’s from the guys who made Shaun of the Dead. It was really funny. Now I want to go watch Shaun of the Dead again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sidenote: I was walking from school down to the BART station the other day and I passed this lawn. There was a squirrel sitting, literally a foot away from me, digging in the grass. As I was walking by it looked up, but did not move, and then continued digging. So I stopped and watched it and it still didn’t move. I honestly think I could have reached over and grabbed it or at least pet it once. Love squirrels!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As the semester has been winding down, I’ve been thinking about how much I wanted it to end. I wanted to be done with all the law review crap and not have go to that boring class anymore. I didn’t really give it too much thought.
But then tonight, I was doing some stuff to finish training my successor for law review and it hit me that I’m really going to miss this. I have made friends, definitely not as close as the friends I made at SCU during 1L year, but people I’d still want to keep in touch with. It’s always hard when you get to that level in your education where everyone breaks away and goes their separate ways.
I’ll also just miss being a student. Despite how often I may skip some classes, I like learning. Going to school has been such a security blanket. So scary that I won’t have it to fall back on anymore.
Let’s hope this whole “law” thing works out. If not, I can always go back for more school! Weee!
I’m looking forward to graduation though. It’s going to be like a family reunion. Plus the sandwich will be there! Yay! We can totally have a slumber party. We’ll braid each other’s hair and talk about boys.
Sunday, April 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Dude you totally made me laugh until I cried... in the library... that's embarassing.
I was going to get you a dorky law school t-shirt for graduation but I didn't understand any of the jokes on them. C'est la vie.
Post a Comment