Sunday, August 27, 2006

School's In

cluelessness

I've completed the LAST first week of school that I will ever have. I didn't think much of it during the week, but now it's a little scary. I'm that much closer to being done with school and out in the real world. I wish I could be a student forever. It's safe and warm in the confines of the classroom, not having to deal with the harsh reality of the "real world". Oh well. On we go.

After a little bit of shopping, I've finally settled my schedule. I absolutely love Family Law. I almost didn't take it because it's a small seminar style class. There are only about 10-12 people in it, which means that I basically cannot skip and have to keep up on the reading. I've always liked family law anyway, but the professor is really cool. I don't know where she's from, but she was recently hired to Boalt. She's super young, has a fantastic sense of humor and is super smart. The first day of class we spent the entire hour talking about what makes up a family.

But the best part was that she brought in a poster board of pictures of different celebrity families to use as examples. It was scary that Courtney Love and Francis Bean were the closest thing to a "legal family" out of all the groups shown. I don't care what people say, but biology does not make you a mother.

Then I'm taking Children and the Law (another family law oriented class all about children). I was enrolled in Federal Courts but I decided to drop it. First, it's 8:30-9:50 3 days a week. Second, it's all about jurisdiction. Basically an advanced civil procedure course. As you may remember I absolutely hated my civil procedure class during first year. Basically the only reason I wanted to take it was that it is taught by a judge on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, which is a very big deal. But the class seemed like it was going to be intense and DRY. I just couldn't handle it that early without any more incentive.

So I swapped it for Real Estate transactions. It's also at 8:30, but only 2 days a week. And that's the only class I have on Thurs/Friday so I can go home as soon as it's done. Not much to say about it, other than the professor doesn't cold call...or any other kind of on-call system. It'll be mostly lecture, so I don't really have to follow it that closely.

Perhaps the best part is Wine Law. hahahahaha. It's all about the Wine industry. It's the only class on Wine Law taught in the country. Although I won't be able to use the class for anything, I think it will be interesting.

PLUS - we get to have wine tastings. You know, because we should be able to tell the difference between wines to detect the impostors. AND, there might be a class trip to Napa. hahaha. I love it! It's on Weds. evenings, but that's my only "long" day so I'm ok with it.

No comments: