Friday, March 03, 2006

Funniest Case Ever

One of the things that I enjoy most about law school is reading interesting cases. It sounds a little boring, but some of these cases have the most bizarre fact patterns. Criminal law especially is fun, you would not imagine things that criminals do or how brutal their crimes can be. I mean, it's beyond anything you can see on Law and Order.

So I was in Estates and Trusts, my favorite class this semester, and our professor read us an excerpt of a case that used to be in the textbook. Probably the funniest case ever. So I thought I'd share part of it with you here. Basically this woman leaves a will giving everything to the equivalent of the National Organization for Women and some distant relatives claim she was crazy. Here's what the judge found:

Yet four years later she wrote: 'My father was a corrupt, vicious, and unintelligent savage, a typical specimen of the majority of his sex. Blast his wormstinking carcass and his whole damn breed.' And in 1943, she inscribed on a photograph of her mother 'That Moronic she-devil that was my mother.'

the proofs demonstrated 'incontrovertably her morbid aversion to men' and 'feminism to a neurotic extreme.'

She looked forward to the day when women would bear children without the aid of men, and all males would be put to death at birth. Decedent's inward life, disclosed by what she wrote, found an occasional outlet such as the incident of the smashing of the clock, the killing of the pet kitten, vile language,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ha ha ha. You can't find that on television.

1 comment:

Jeimeken said...

I guess you have to be a lawyer... that's ok. I crack myself up with medical jokes.