I had to make some phone calls last week for work and I still can't get over the fact that I tell the people calling that I'm an attorney. It feels so bizarro.
I'm official and everything now. I was sworn in on Oct. 31, so now I'm fully authorized to practice law in the state of nevada. Look out world! Hell hath no fury like a lawyer scorned.
The ceremony was really neat. It was up at UNR and it was actually a special session of the NV Supreme Court. All of the justices were there and the Chief Justice convened the session and there were a few speakers. Nothing special, but it was nice to see many of the local and state judges. There were even a few of the federal judges too. The governor didn't bother to show up, but really who wants him there? Then we all stood up and said the oath.
Senator Reid and Ensign sent a representative from the respective offices. You should have seen the woman from Ensign's office. She had a HUGE blonde perm, right out of 1985. She totally looked like a trophy wife or someone's arm candy. And she was reading a prepared statement from him and she messed up like 3-4 times. I almost felt bad for her until I looked again at her hideous hair.
Yay, now I can be sued for legal malpractice! I got to sign my first court document. I wrote an opposition memo and we submitted it for a case for one of the partners. And this week I get to issue some subpoenas.
California bar results come out this week. I've already talked to a friend who is going to give me their Barbri study materials if they pass. And I know they will. So it's just about time for me to start studying for February. It seems like a long way off, but I need to cram all that crap back into my head that I forgot after the last time.
At least there are less subjects in California. Plus, unlike Nevada, you only have to know California specific law in a few subjects. In NV, you had to know the "majority rule" and then any of the special distinctions that NV recognized. They didn't really test on them, but you had to know them anyway. In CA, there are only 3-4 subjects that have distinctions. Plus there are less topics total, less essays too.
I'm hoping it won't be so bad because now I know what to expect.
Monday, November 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Harry Potter lunch sounds fantastic - mayhaps Weds, Thurs, or Friday?
weeeeeeeeee!
the first real professional member of my cohort.
congratulations!
YOU should get a perm to celebrate.
Post a Comment