I was reading an article about the election and came across an interesting tidbit I thought I'd share.
So the Repubs have used gay marriage as a wedge issue to try to drive ultra-conservatie christian nutjobs to the polls. It worked in 2004 when President Bush got reelected. But this time the plan backfired.
According to the article:
"By putting the same-sex marriage and death penalty measures on the same ballot, Sensenbrenner said, Republican leaders in the Legislature ended up drawing the wrong type of voter to the polls - Democrats, especially conservative ones. Those people voted for the ballot proposals but against Republican candidates."
So even though the gay marriage ban won on the ballot, the republicans lost big in Wisconsin.
Maybe that will teach them not to use these fucking wedge issues like gay marriage, flag burning, and immigration to get conservatives to vote, because it won't work anymore!
~~~~~~~~
Although I was kinda sad to see Lincoln Chaffee go. Yes, he was a Republican BUT he was not one of the President's Republicans. He was actually pretty socially liberal. He was for abortion and in favor of gay marriage and he often spoke out against the president. AND he voted against the war and opposed the nomination of John Bolton. I was excited to hear that he's considering leaving the Republican party. Maybe he can come back as a democrat.
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment