In my children and the law class we were talking about teen access to abortion. We read these horrible horrible cases about these young girls facing parental consent/notification statutes and then going to court so that they could get an abortion without telling their parents. In some cases they faced violence or expulsion if there parents found out. So the standard established by the Supreme Court is that they basically have to have informed consent and be a "mature minor".
Well that's not the exact rule, but you get the point. And in one case this girl was an honor student, worked a part-time job all through high school and did all these extracurriculars so that she could go to college. She was afraid of telling her parents, so she went to court. The assbackwards judge in Alabama said no. The judge didn't want "those butchers" to get at her and found that she wasn't informed or mature.
In the midst of our class discussion our professor told us a story about the abortion protests that used to go on in the 70's.
So here's your fun law fact of the day:
The owner of Dominoe's Pizza is an arch-conservative anti-abortion nut job. During the abortion protests in the 70's he would have big pictures and posters erected on the site of the international headquarters for dominoe's showing pictures of fetuses. The site was also used to train volunteers that would spread out throughout the midwest and go to hospitals and family planning clinics and protest (possibly bomb, she didn't say but I wouldn't put it past them) and basically intimidate and block access to these facilities.
I've never liked Dominoe's Pizza. Even though it's cheap, it tastes like shit. But now I have even more of a reason not to eat their pizza. Now there's some food for thought.
Friday, September 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Strangely enough - April informed me of this years ago and I had forgotten. Shame on me. No more dominoes. As I recall, my frosh year of college we'd get dominoes and watch x-files. Those were the days. Now I'm stuck in the library studying god-knows-what for lord-knows-how-long and having panic attacks.
I like the new look!
Post a Comment