Saturday, December 06, 2008

Off to See the Wizard (maybe)

I'm off to L.A. for the weekend. It was kind of a spur of the moment kind of thing.

I really want to see Spring Awakening and I missed it when it was playing in San Francisco (I think it snowed that weekend or something stupid). So it's closing this weekend in L.A. and then going to Tempe. And after that it will be on the east coast until 2010 and then after that who knows. And it's closing on Broadway, so I figured I should see it now or maybe not see it for a while (if ever!).

So I booked a flight, rented a car, got a hotel room and bought my ticket....yesterday. It's an expensive little jaunt though. I thought about flying in, seeing the show, and then flying out again tonight but there weren't any direct flights coming back this evening. All of the southwest flights were layovers somewhere with 3-4 hour waits between flights. So I didn't want to get stuck in some airport somewhere.

But I just got to the airport and the flight is delayed! It's a good thing I decided to go with tickets for the show tonight, instead of the matinee. Right now the flight is delayed 45 minutes, but could be longer. And I still have to go get a rental car and then find the hotel.

I'm staying at the "Best Western Dragongate Inn" - yes, it's in Chinatown. It was fairly cheap, packaged with a cheapo rental car. And the reviews seemed to be ok. At least one person said it was a safe neighborhood. But if I get kidnapped by a Chinese gang of international attorney smugglers, you'll know what happened.....avenge me!

But getting there so early means I have to find something to do all day. I'm thinking I might go see Milk. It's not playing in Reno yet, and even when it does, I'm opposed to seeing it at Cinemark. The CEO of Cinemark (Century Theaters) donated $10,000 to the Yes on 8 Campaign and going to see a movie about Harvey Milk, an icon in the gay rights movement, at a theater run by a bigot seems wrong. And they have a lot more theaters in L.A. than here, so I might go do that.

OR, I can go see a matinee of Wicked, assuming the flight isn't delayed anymore. It will be more expensive than seeing a movie, but I loved it the first time I saw it. But then on the other hand, it's coming to San Francisco in January and will be there for an indefinite period (maybe years!), so I'll have plenty of time to go see it. We'll see.

No comments: